Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The gift that goes on giving...

Whilst I was reading Beryl Whiting's blog (see previous post), I was also reminded that many people I know are turning down the opportunity to receive another load of things that they don't really need this festive season, and instead, are asking people to get them something that someone else needs. Confused? Read what Beryl has to say about it and all will become clear...

Having a birthday right before xmas gives my husband and sons a bit of challenge! They assume I am a woman who has everything, um....actually I am beginning to think they may have a point. I certainly have everything I NEED.

So after a lot of nagging I came up with a digital radio as a present. I have to say it doesn't really do it for me but, what else is there? Then, a revelation. After listening to a radio advert I had an 'aha' moment. There was something I would really really like and it made me feel quite happy and excited at the thought of having it! Well you may be as surprised as my sons when I tell you it is a GOAT! I know you're thinking 'you're kidding'! Ooops sorry.

Oxfam
www.oxfam.org.uk are suggesting you buy a goat (£24) and no post and packing involved, they will send it to someone to whom it would make a real different. A child ex-soldier or a mother to support her family in Africa. Two goats go off and do what goats do and before you know it you have a whole herd. So what appeals to me is helping others far less fortunate than me to get back on their feet and create their own future and take control of their lives again. What better gift could we give? This just fits so well with the work I do. I now intend to buy livestock on a regular basis. In 2006 I will be saving for a camel (£95).

The seasoned shopper in me did begin to start the 'shopping around' and whereas Oxfam do one goat for £24, Christian Aid,
www.presentaid.org do a whole herd for £60! Then again could I stretch to a calf (£32), a stethoscope for (£7), a can of worms for Bolivian farmers (£15) ? Decisions decisions......

Happy Xmas Shopping!

No comments: