Friday, December 16, 2005

10 daily habits for the holiday season - Part 4

My fourth tip in this series is:


get some exercise every day


Find some way (and some time) to include some exercise into your day. If you're the type of person who has to force themselves to exercise and hates every minute of it, then you're not doing it right - you need to find something that you enjoy doing. Why not make that a goal for the New Year - to try as many different forms of exercise as you can until you find at least one that you really enjoy doing and are willing to do at least 3 times a week for the rest of the year?

Experiment, also, with the time of day that you do your exercising. I'm a morning person - I can get up at any time in the morning and I'm raring to go, but in the evenings, I'm useless and I just need to chill out and wind down. I discovered long ago that the best thing for me is to set my alarm clock to go off an hour earlier and exercise first thing in the morning. It sets me up for the rest of the day with an exercise-induced endorphin high and I don't have the nagging feeling that I need to exercise hanging over me all day. When would be the best time of day for you to exercise?

If all else fails, just go for a walk in your lunch break - it'll help your digestion, help burn off your lunch, fill your lungs with fresh air and give you more energy for the afternoon.

No comments: