Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Friends Reunited

I had a lovely surprise over the Easter holiday. On Easter Sunday, I was delighted to be contacted by my long-lost cousin. The last time we saw or heard from each other was at her Mum’s funeral, about 25 years ago. She was only a little girl at the time and she went to live with her Dad and we lost touch. She found me through www.friendsreunited.co.uk, a site which enables old friends and classmates to get in touch with each other again.

We have so much to catch up on – she has 2 brothers and a sister with whom we also lost contact and we are already on our 5th email.

When I visited the Friends Reunited site to pick up her initial email, I found a message waiting there for me from Helen, an old friend of mine that I met when I was about 16. The message was sent to a disused email address of mine about 16 months ago and I never received it until Sunday.

It was so nice to hear from these women again. They are both people that I am delighted to be in touch with again and will do my best not to ‘lose’ in future. As we get older, people do disappear from our lives don’t they? People die or move away. Sometimes we argue with people and are too proud (or angry) to make the first move towards reconciliation...

Who have you ‘lost’ from your life that you would like to be in touch with again?

Which old and dear friend is due a phone call from you?

Who have you not seen for years and would really like to meet up with again?

What are you going to do about it?

And if you’re out there, Cheralyn Petty, I’ve lost your number and, since we both moved around the same time, I have no address for you, but I miss you and I’d love to be in touch again…

No comments: