Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Safely home

Like many people, I've been intensely interested in the recent flight of the space shuttle and am thrilled that Discovery has landed safely at Edwards Air Force Base. (I’m worn out this morning from running between the TV coverage in the living room and NASA TV coverage on the computer in the office because I was scared of missing something.)

The first time I went to Florida was 1987, the year after the first space shuttle disaster, when the Challenger and its crew were lost. There were reminders of the loss everywhere because many of the Florida residents had special, commemorative ‘Challenger’ number plates on their cars. Then, towards the end of the holiday, we visited the Kennedy Space Centre, where we could see, in the distance, a grounded shuttle waiting on the launch pad. It definitely brought a lump to the throat.

Anyhow, I’m off for a lie down now – all this space exploration has exhausted me! Houston over and out...

No comments: