Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happy 15th birthday to the World Wide Web

Happy_birthday_www If your house was burning down, what would be the first thing (thing - not person!) you would save? Family photos? A grab-bag with all the important family documents in it? Your handbag?

For me, it would be my computer - my trusty laptop. I do so much with it - make my living, communicate with friends and family, pay my bills and keep track of my accounts, educate and entertain myself, keep myself up-to-date with what's happening in the world... I'd be lost without it.

But, much as I love my computer, it wouldn't be half as much use (or fun) if I couldn't connect to the Internet - which brings me to the subject of today's posting - the World Wide Web is 15 years old today. April 30, 2008 marks the 15th anniversary of the date when CERN (the European Organisation for Nuclear Research) announced that the web was free for use by anyone.

To commemorate the anniversary, msn.com looks at 15 ways in which the World Wide Web has changed our lives - for better or for worse...

No comments: