Thursday, July 28, 2005

'Stepkids: Don't ruin my big day'

As someone who coaches single women, I feel almost duty-bound to watch TV programmes about the issues that affect them, so last night, I watched Channel 4's 'Stepkids: Don't ruin my big day' which was about divorced parents who were about to remarry and the reactions of their children towards their marriage. The reactions ranged from actual physical violence towards one woman's husband-to-be, through 'Well I think she's stupid but I'll go along with it but I only give it a year and a half to two years before she's divorced again', to 'I accept it but I wish it wasn't happening'. Obviously, it wouldn't make good TV if all the kids were deliriously happy at their parent's remarriage, and all the parents involved went ahead with the wedding, despite their children's protestations. Not being a parent myself, I find it very difficult to know where I stand on this. I know that some parents believe that their children are the most important people to consider and would never dream of remarrying if their kids would be unhappy. I also know that other parents believe that they should grab their happiness where they can and adopt a 'they'll get used to it' approach as far as their kids are concerned. What do you think? Should parents respect their children's wishes and try to keep them all happy or should they put their own happiness first in the belief that what makes them happy will ultimately make their kids happy too?

No comments: